Craft, stitchin' and sustainable living

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Evil Purple Top


See this top? You think it's a nice top, don't you? Well you're wrong. It's evil - pure evil - I tell you.

What might look like a pretty top in the picture has actually caused me weeks of nightmares. I bought the fabric for $3 per metre from Reverse Garbage because I liked the colour and, as it is a crape, I figured it wouldn't need ironing. Well, wasn't I sucked in by vanity and laziness? This fabric has been nothing but trouble since I first started to cut it.

This fabric is the kind that:
- frays like crazy
- if you put it on a table, it slinks off onto the floor by itself
- doesn't hold pins because the weave it too loose
- once cut, will never sit the same way again


The pattern I used, Simplicity 2586, is a good one - easy, straightforward, fits nicely. Unfortunately, it has taken a lot of battling with the fabric to get the top to this point. And to make matters worse, my overlocker died halfway through the making, so I had to use a friend's overlocker to finish the job. The top might look presentable from a distance, but check out this neck binding...


The stitching is wonky, and sections of the underside didn't catch. I am going to unpick it, tack it, and try again.

Lesson learnt: Cheap, slinky fabric is nothing but trouble. Never again!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Britt! Despite what you say about this dreaded fabric, the top is beautiful and looks great on you! And such a great colour, even if it was a total nightmare to make. P.S. Thanks so much for coming to the Etsy party, your blog is awesome. Looking forward to seeing you again soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burn the shirt.

    ReplyDelete