Craft, stitchin' and sustainable living

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Crafty Power Hour



Well, I have finally emerged from the chaos of moving house, and I am pleased to say that I am slowly getting myself back into the crafty community. I missed a whole bunch of cool Sydney crafty events recently (boo!) but managed to catch the last lunchtime Crafty Power Hour put on by Knitty Gritty & Loopy. Crafty Power Hour had been part of the We Craft This City event which was put together by a whole bunch of cool crafty peeps.


At Crafty Power Hour I was taught the very important skills of making plarn (plastic yarn, or yarn made out of used plastic bags) and weaving it into baskets and other cute vessels.


This is the very beginning of my kawaii-sized plarn basket. It is basically made by spiralling the plarn around and holding it in place with blanket-stitched twine.


And here is the finished piece. It's quite small (about the size of an egg cup) but would you believe this is a whole plastic bag worth of plarn? What a great example of recycling, not to mention a super fun way to spend a lunch hour in the city.

Oh, and just a post note: it occured to me recently that many lovely people follow my blog (some through RSS feed) and I don't always get to know about you and your own blogs! So if you read this, please leave a comment with a link to your blog or site, so that I can get to know you too! Thanks xx

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! Yay for moving. I still have one box in my sewing room to unpack (it's probably where the 'good' scissors are) so fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolly good fun, making crazy baskets... And I tried to make a basket out of the hose pipe. Didn't work. surprise. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back! And glad you're settling in ok :) Moving is definitely hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Thanks for your comment and Im glad you enjoyed the sessions as much as I did!!! Loved your tiny weaving too!! take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. ive just found your blog and i love your basket! ive always wanted to learn how to crochet using plarn but have never gotten round to it, im going to go and look it up now so thank you :D x

    ReplyDelete