Craft, stitchin' and sustainable living

Monday, January 3, 2011

Stitchybritt's 2010

As many other bloggers have been doing (such as Veronica Darling and Fritzi Marie), I wanted to write a 2010 wrap-up post. Unfortunately my ‘puter has been out-of-order the last few days, so this post comes a little later than I anticipated it would. Nevertheless, here is (or perhaps, this was) my 2010...


In January I visited Australia’s red centre with my good friend, Anne. We started in Alice Springs and visited the real heart of Australia in Uluru, King’s Canyon and the Olgas (Kata Tjuta National Park). An absolutely brilliant part of the world, get there if you can.


My interest in refashioning old clothing into new was growing rapidly, so I went along to the Social Studio in Melbourne to learn some basic techniques and get some inspiration. Throughout the year I ended up refashioning quite a few things from my wardrobe, and a few op-shop finds, a habit that will definitely continue.


In the first quarter of the year we (boyfriend and I) packed up and moved from Melbourne to Sydney. Melbourne, though not my birthplace, is very much home so was hard to leave. It’s funny how the small things can make you feel welcome in a new city though, like this awesome graffiti we found close to our first Sydney home.


Around the same time I launched my ‘For the love of tea’ range of tea and mug cozies. I made a lot of mug cozies in 2010. And sold some too, thankfully : )


Come mid-year and we were off to Denmark and Sweden for a Scandinavian adventure. Man, do I love that part of the world. And their berries. Oh the berries.


In August I turned 30, so we headed to Byron Bay with a few friends to celebrate. Here we are (with birdy friend) looking windblown up near the lighthouse. Oh yeah, did I mention that I have a thing for lighthouses?


As the year went on I stitched more and more. I sewed clothes for myself, gifts for friends and loads more tea cozies. And I drank many cups of tea.


Late in the year we also got a cat. Her name is Snork Maiden (from the Finnish show, the Moomins) and we adore her. We *might* have dressed her up as a lion for a fancy dress party we had. As you can see, this didn’t bother her in the slightest.


Our goal to become vegie gardeners (and not just snail feeders) has been slow to come about, but finally, finally...


And the year ended with our happy Christmas tree (that came all the way from Melbourne with us), trying where we could to make it a sustainable Christmas. I've just spent the last week cooking leftovers into new meals, freezing leftover meat, and making stock from the bones of the turkey. Our freezer is kinda full.

If you think that was a lot of stuff to do in a year, just wait till you hear what I've got planned for 2011...

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant year. Can't wait to see how you top it in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy New Year to you guys and hope you're looking after the Inner West of Syds for me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful year you had. So many fun things. The move sounds exciting and the trip. I love that you are making tea cozies and refashioning some of your cloting. LOVE it. I can't wait to see what adventures you have this lucky year. Here's to many dreams come true in 2011.

    love love,
    Fritzi Marie

    ReplyDelete